Being overseas for most of the year and removed from much of the happenings of the rest of the world I’ve missed out on a lot of biotech and biz start-up news. Here are the main things I have caught up with to date:
- The Dendreon/ Provenge screw up.
- Gilead buys Genentech’s biologics manufacturing facility.
- Google buys Motorola Mobility and Google Plus is launched.
- Roche melanoma blockbuster.
- Australian R&D tax credit.
- Cancer killing virus.
- Start-up America launches.
- Peter Thiel – funds college kids to quit college. And another article opposing the idea.
- 2011 Fierce 15 Biotech Companies.
- Techstars TV goes live.
- Patent reform bill gets approval.
- Genentech breast cancer drug looks promising.
- Harvard life sciences accelerator.
- Low participation rates in cancer trials.
- Genetic screening of 9000 tumours.
For more local developments:
- Squid Gel a commercial success.
- MSI – Fast track for digital entrepreneurs.
- MSI – undergrad summer internship fellowships.
- The San Fran Launch Pad. http://www.klp.org.nz/
- The Spark $100k Challenge Finalists.
- The Unlimited Investment Challenge Finalists.
- E&Y Entrepreneur of Year Finalists.
- ICE Ideas Conference & 3000.org.nz.
- Rob Adams in NZ. Article.
- Peter Thiel in NZ . ICE ideas conference.
- Steve Blank coming to NZ.
- Start up weekends.
- Xero & Orion – mass hire. Media article here.
- RWC activities – The Rutherford innovation show case & NZBIO showcasing NZs clinical trial expertise. Also tech trade & investment forum.
- Idealog’s MSI-sponsored Guide to Innovation
- Auckland City’s Development Plan for ‘ Creating the world’s most liveable city’.
- Right Hemisphere acquired by SAP.
Graeme @ graemefielder.com