How’d you find us?

Since arriving in the US of A, I have obviously visited various  establishments such as restaurants, bars, hair salons, drycleaners and garment alters. During these  experiences, I have been stunned by the frequency at which I have been ask ‘How’d you find us?”.

justask_logoNow this has occurred enough times to obviously prompt me to write a post about it. And given the diversity of people in the area and the fact that I wasn’t in ‘tourist mode’ when visiting a lot of these places, I don’t think my appearance as a foreigner has artificially inflated this frequency.

When you think about it, the answer to this simple question has such valuable insights. Combining this question, with a few others,+ in a brief conversation with the customer, and with typical transaction information, enables you to find out, for example:

  • How’d they find you? In my case, 70% of the time it was yelp and the remaining 30% a personal recommendation.
  • Why’d they pick you over others?
  • Are they locals?
  • How much did they spend?
  • What were the doing prior to coming to your establishment?
  • And possibly some prejudicial profiling

In cases where I was not a local, many moved to convert my experience into a positive yelp review. Where I was a local, transforming me into a repeat customer was their objective. It worked.

Surely this has got to be one of easiest and cheapest forms of marketing insight you can do as a small or large business. Unfortunately, back home in New Zealand, this experience is so rare that it has clearly become a novelty for me. Work to be done Kiwis.

graeme@graemefielder.com

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s